Pages

Tuesday 6 January 2015

Top 5 Books of 2014

Okay, so I love reading but I don't find that I read enough because I never could find a list of really good books that I'd enjoy. That's why I've compiled a list of my Top 5 Books of 2014 (although it's more like 7 books) so you can give them a go. These books are all based around a relationship or romance but they tell the story of love in very different ways.


1. The first book I loved last year was 'Don't Even Think About It' by Sarah Mlynowski. In this book, Class 10B are all getting their flu jabs. Side effects were expected but 10B don't get normal side effects. They become telepathic. This is such a sudden shock for all of 10B yet although it scares them all, it also brings them closer together. When faced with a question that could break the newly formed friendship, the group must decide what to do. This book may seem rather weird however, I found it very quickly engrossing and the events that unfold towards the end are unexpected.

2. This is one of my favourite books. I read it within a weekend and it is 'Fangirl' by Rainbow Rowell. The blurb says: Cath and Wren are identical twins, and until recently they did absolutely everything together. Now they're off to university and Wren's decided she doesn't want to be one half of a pair any more - she wants to dance, meet boys, go to parties and let loose. It's not so easy for Cath. She's horribly shy and has always buried herself in the fan fiction she writes, where she always knows exactly what to say and can write a romance far more intense than anything she's experienced in real life. Without Wren, Cath is completely on her own and totally outside her comfort zone. She's got a rude room-mate with a charming, always-around boyfriend, a fiction-writing professor who thinks fan fiction is the end of the civilized world, a handsome classmate who only wants to talk about words and she can't stop worrying about her dad, who's loving and fragile and has never really been alone. Now Cath has to decide whether she's ready to open her heart to new people and new experiences, and she's realising that there's more to learn about love than she ever thought possible. I think this is the best way to sum up the book and it quickly became a firm favourite. 

3. 'From What I Remember' by Stacey Kramer and Valerie Thomas is also one of my most favourite books.  Kylie Flores – class brain and movie addict – has been planning her big graduation day speech for three months. As a scholarship student, she would never dream of mixing with the likes of Max Langston – rich, undeniably handsome and athletic. When they're paired for an assignment, they're forced to do it at the coffee shop where Kylie's laptop is stolen. Before they know it, they're in a van heading for Mexico. After being in Mexico for a day, they fall asleep and wake up to find wedding bands round their fingers. This book is absolutely amazing and a definite unlikely teen romance!! It is also from five different POVs (point of views) which may be confusing but it is easy to grasp after a few chapters.

4. There are two books here because one is the sequel and I enjoyed both so much so I had to put them both in. These books follow the life of Faith through her diary as she attempts to make her way through Year 10. These were quite quick reads for me however I found them very enjoyable. In the first book, the main storyline is about the boys school pairing up with Faith's school to form a choir. Then dreamy Finn walks in and Faith has her eyes set on him not realising the people she has right under her nose. In the second book, the boys' school is back and that means Finn and Ethan are back as well. Will she realise which one she truly loves or will it just all end in a mess??

5. 'If I Stay' is based on Mia who, in the first book is in a major car crash and then a coma for a long time. Throughout the book, she is having an out of body experience and can witness all that is happening whilst she is in the coma. Before the accident, she had so many choices but now, she only has one and will her boyfriend Adam change her answers? In the second book, 'Where She Went', the story is based around Adam. Three years after Mia's accident and Adam is stuck in New York soon to be going on tour with his rock band and seeing his famous girlfriend. That night is also the night that Mia is performing with her cello. One last chance to rekindle the flame they once had...what will happen??

So I hope you enjoyed this post! It isn't like what I've been doing however I have seen so many people reading books like Fangirl and If I Stay so hopefully you will give them a chance. Have you read any of these books?? Let me know in the comments below or tweet me @farfromvogue_

Emily xx

1 comment: